Everyone knows it’s important to keep our heart healthy, but here are a few facts to inspire you to do so:
• The average heart beats about 115,000 times a day, or 42 million times a year.
• It pumps about 2,000 gallons of blood a day through about 60,000 miles of blood vessels.
• The aorta, the body’s main artery, is about the diameter of a garden hose.
• Some capillaries are ten times smaller than a human hair—so tiny that cells have to pass through single file.
• The heart weighs less than a pound yet works twice as hard as a sprinter’s leg muscles.
• It can keep it beating even when disconnected from the body.
Your heart is a remarkably intelligent and hard-working organ. More the reason to eat smart, exercise regularly, don’t smoke, limit your alcohol, manage your stress, socialize, laugh, and do the things that bring you joy. And, if you feel you’re at risk for heart disease, a heart policy from your association and AMBA could help cover specialized treatments not covered by Medicare. Learn more online or call 866-979-0497.
Love your heart, and your heart will love you back.