Remember the Three Dog Night song that begins: “One is the loneliest number…”?
That’s how it can feel to retire. No longer being part of a collaborative environment that sustained and engaged you all those years can seem like “the saddest experience you’ll ever know.”
It’s no wonder social isolation has been shown to increase stress, inflammation, risk of cardiovascular disease, sleep problems and brain issues.
There’s an easy way to maintain a healthy social life. Joining your association for retirees, or preparing for retirement if you’re an active worker, can benefit your wellbeing—and provide the support you need to live strong now and in years to come.
First of all, your association will work hard to protect your savings so you can keep your retirement adventures in full swing. Plus, there are other exciting advantages only available to members. Perks can include:
• Pension defense to protect your income in retirement through lobbying on your behalf.
• Social opportunities to connect with people like yourself.
• Insurance policies like dental, vision, long-term care, cancer, heart, stroke – at group rates!
• Medical services such as hearing, mobile imaging, emergency transport, and more.
• Security on-call services to summon help at the touch of a button.
• Travel savings on hotels, resorts, cruises, tours, rental cars, etc.
• Merchandise discounts on everything from computers to flowers.
So, however you retire, don’t do it alone. Join your association!
Think “Come Together” by the Beatles.